MAKING MY FIRST KOROWAI

KOROWAI IS COMPLETED

Finally it is finished, I am pretty pleased with it.   I can now appreciate the work and costs that goes in to a full sized Korowai (Maori Cloak) as this mini-sized one has taken hours.  I enjoyed the weekend workshop held at Taieri Mouth, learning this fascinating craft.  We didn’t complete our Korowai in the class, we ran out of time, so we had to finish it only guided with our notes provided by our Tutor.

It has taken me a month or so to find the time to complete it and remember how to do some of the stitiches.   Since my blog earlier this afternoon, I decided to take a photo now before darkness falls in Dunedin.  My choice was to pick Guinea Fowl feathers (Huruhuru), I have lots of freckles and like spots.  The Taniko Stitch is the pattern at the top of the Korowai. I have chose this black and red one, made with cotton/wool. Some people may put their family (iwi) Taniko pattern on theirs.

It was a fun course to do. I  finished framing it last night, it is my no means perfect, actually it is a bit hairy around the edges, but I am happy with it.  All I need now is a bit of space somewhere on my walls to hang it.

Attached to a flax mat background

Attached to a flax mat background

SAM_8684

My finished effort

My finished effort

My Elf I made years ago having a look over the top

My Elf I made years ago having a look over the top

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: